Close Company

In the UK there is a term called "close company" status and this is completely different from closing a company down and it affect private limited companies (ltd) in the UK.

A close company is defined by only have 5 or less participants whereby a participant is a individual or company shareholder of the company concerned.

Definition of a Closed Company

Following on from the statements above most small businesses in the UK are closed companies because they are small and generally only have one or two shareholders or people who have controlling interests.

But the definition changes if all shareholders are directors and it doesn't matter how many there are - as there can be more than five. A company can not be classed as closed if it's based outside of the UK or any of the shareholders are not closed companies themselves.

Where a Company Can not Be Closed

There are certain conditions laid down by HMRC where the company can not be classed as a close company. These are:

Closing Down a Company

Many people thinking of closing down a company (or winding it up or going through insolvency) will have reached this article by searching for close company so here are some practical steps if this is what you are looking for.

  1. Be absolutely sure you won't need the company in the future as it's a lot of work and money to spend either yourself or through an agent or accountant to prepare the accounts and paperwork for HMRC - these are statutory procedures and must be followed
  2. If you are sure the company is no longer required then prepare the final accounts to be filed with the Inland Revenue and pay the final corporation taxes under form CT600 - HMRC also need to be informed that these are your final accounts before you dissolve the company.
  3. Once you have paid any outstanding taxes HMRC need to be informed of dissolution
  4. You need to inform the Payroll Inspector of Taxes your company has ceased trading and complete the final P35 Employee return form and pay any outstanding PAYE tax and national insurances. You should have already completed final P45s for all employees and followed redundancy law if this applies to your business
  5. If you are VAT registered then you need to inform HMRC that you have ceased trading and want to de-register for VAT - You should prepare your final VAT return and pay any outstanding debt
  6. Once the company has ceased trading for 3 months you can advise companies house to dissolve the company and complete form 652a - they will advertise in the London Gazette for up to 9 months at which point the company will be dissolved and cease to exist. Ensure there are no monies left in bank accounts as these may be frozen and taken from the company to the government.